Registering to vote is an important and significant step for young adults to exercise the right to vote and participate in the democratic process.
In alignment with our school's mission and vision beliefs, we want to share information about the voter registration process for California. We ask and encourage families and students to support the effort in learning about voter registration, the voting process, and the importance of casting votes on local and national civic issues that affect our community.
California Voter Information can be found here.
The information below is gathered from this website.
Who can register to vote?
To register to vote in California, you must be:
- A United States citizen and a resident of California,
- 18 years old or older on Election Day,
- Not currently in state or federal prison or on parole for the conviction of a felony, and
- Not prohibited from voting by a court because of mental incompetency
Who can pre-register to vote?
To pre-register to vote in California, you must:
- Be 16 or 17 years old, and
- Meet all of the other requirements to vote.
You will automatically be registered to vote on your 18th birthday.
Registering to vote can be done by completing a voter registration application on paper or online.
Persons age 18 and Older on Election Day and Registering Online
To register online you will need:
- Your California driver license or California identification card number,
- The last four digits of your social security number, and
- Your date of birth
Your information will be provided to the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to retrieve a copy of your DMV signature.
If you do not have a California driver license or California identification card, you can still use this form to apply to register to vote by completing the online interview by 11:59:59 p.m. Pacific Time on the 15th calendar day before an election.
For more information, please visit CA Voter website for FAQ and deadline to register prior to actual election day.
Persons age 16 or 17 and Pre-registering Online
If you are 16 or 17 years old, you can use this online registration application to pre-register to vote.